Wingback Chair: Before and After



Before and....


After!

Time:  60+ hours
Cost:  $155   

Fabric:  around 7 yards of IKEA’s Majken, a yard and a half of black duck canvas, and five packages of black piping from JoAnn’s.  I decided to draw the line at making my own welting.  For the cushion, high density foam (4"), high-loft batting, and velcro.

Hardware:  Staples, two pieces of 27” metal tack strip with vinyl cover, and about ten feet of Ply Grip by the running foot.  

Tools:  Flat screw driver, pliers, hammer, staple gun, sewing machine.  Work gloves and an electric staple gun are recommended!

Optional Stuff:   A new foam cushion, Scotchgard, and the controversial one: black paint for the wooden legs.  What do you think?

One of the attractions of this project was that it was very affordable - professional reupholstery of a similar chair could cost anywhere from $350 to $500, and the Anthropologie chair in my first post is about $1,700.  So I am surprised to realize that, after all this, I would actually feel better about paying full price for that  Anthropologie chair.  I am now vividly aware of the incredible amount of design, craftsmanship and time that went into making it, and a bit jealous of the excellent execution. 

I also gained some gratitude for my belongings from this projects - large college campuses are where furniture goes to die.  I am surrounded by furniture that is designed to be and treated as disposable, and at the end of the year dumpsters are full to the brim with flimsy plywood bookshelves, plastic trees and whole destroyed couches sticking out.  I'm glad to have rescued one old chair from that fate!



See how it all came together:

Wing Back Chair Cushion
Recovering the Chair
Stripping the Chair


5 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I love the fabric.. it's a completely different chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, you did a good job on the whole thing- cushion included :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled onto your chair via a google search. I love the look! I'm planning a trip to Ikea tomorrow and was curious about their fabric being heavy duty enough for upholstery. I'm glad to see it is! I've been looking for some unique, non-run-of-the-mill fabric and they have some great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think feeling the fabric in person is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just installed iStripper, and now I can watch the hottest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete

Feed the blog - leave a comment!