Quick-Roasted Beet Slices and Two Salads


I love beet chips, and that almost spoiled this recipe for me.  I got my hopes up that these would be like the sweet, crispy chips at Seven Saints that come with goat cheese dip, which I have sometimes, accidentally, embarrassingly, tried to order as "goat chips."  I actually had to go back and read through the recipe after baking these slices before I would admit that I was not promised crispiness. 

The recipe explains that the point of slicing the beets is cooking them quickly.  Once I started snacking on them, I forgave them for their texture, and also remembered that roasted beets are part of my favorite salad.
So, you know, give beets a chance.

Heat the oven to 475.  Slice three medium size beets (red or yellow) in rather thin slices, coat with about a tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, and roast for a little over fifteen minutes.  The recipe also calls for about half a teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme.  It would be nice!  But I left it out.  Getting sloppy, cutting corners.



What to do with the finished slices?  Whenever we go to Biaggi's, I order a salad with roasted beets, arugula, avocado, goat cheese, and walnuts.  You can dress it with a basic balsamic vinaigrette. The recipe from Fast, Fresh & Green is slightly more involved, but has a lot of similar elements.  It's a Roasted Beet, Orange, and Mache Salad with Goat Cheese and Toasted Walnuts.

There is a dressing for the salad, and a marinade for the beet slices.  Both start in the same bowl, with a mixture of orange juice, lemon zest, thyme, balsamic vinegar, garlic and salt.  Part of this is put in a separate bowl and mixed with olive oil to become the dressing.  


Dress the greens with the salad dressing.  Again cutting corners, I substituted a buttery leaf lettuce for the mache.  Toss the beets in the marinade and arrange all the ingredients of the salad on a plate.

This salad was tasty, but because the dressing was rather involved, I think when I make roasted beets again I will stick with the simpler arugula salad with avocado.


Roasted Beet, Orange, and Mache Salad with Goat Cheese and Toasted Walnuts
From Fast, Fresh & Green by Susie Middleton

1 Recipe quick-roasted beet slices
3 cups mache
1 navel orange, sectioned or sliced

2 oz fresh goat cheese
1/3 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts

Marinade and Dressing:
2 Tbsp orange juice
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp coarsely chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
kosher salt
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

1.  Stir together the orange juice, lemon zest, thyme, vinegar, and garlic.

2.  Spoon two tablespoons of the orange mixture into another bowl, and whisk it with the olive oil.  Toss with the mache.

3.  Toss the beet slices with the remaining orange marinade.

4.  Combine the mache, walnuts, beet slices, goat cheese and orange pieces and serve.

This is the fourth delicious recipe I've made from Fast, Fresh & Green by Susie Middleton.  I like this cookbook so much that I am cooking my way through all the recipes.  I am also totally charmed by Sue's online home, Six Burner Sue, where you can find her hard at work running a vegetable farm on Martha's Vineyard and developing recipes for a second cookbook that will be called Fresh & Green for Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feed the blog - leave a comment!