Cucumber Salad with Greek Yogurt, Lime, and Honey



Tomorrow is my very last day of school!  Although any actual learning ended a while ago - we've been goofing around watching old movies and enjoying the escalating violence of the flyswatter game.  I'm getting my first taste of saying goodbye to our CU community, but today it was sweetened with cake and flowers, kind words and handing in my grades.


I am the tiniest bit nostalgic to be straightening up my bookshelves and passing along my sticker collection to my replacement.  Still, the end of school is the beginning of summer!   The a/c is on, a quest for the perfect hamburger is underway, and since the weather warmed up I've been eating a surprising amount of cucumber.

Nice seque, right?   But seriously, cucumbers are perfect for this weather.


The only involved part of this recipe is seeding the cucumbers and cutting them into thin half moon slices.  The point of this prep work, and the choice of thicker Greek yogurt, is to keep the juicy cucumbers from watering down the salad.  If you are going to serve the dish right away, I think it would be fine to leave the seeds in. 

I'm passing along the recipe as printed because I am not the expert, and it's really good, but I suggest tasting the finished salad before adding any honey.  Also, I didn't have pine nuts around, so I substituted sunflower seeds. If you're really feeling the summer heat, you could strip this salad down to the bare bones of cucumber, yogurt and one other flavor (lime? mint?) so that you can more quickly return to sitting in a cool place and drinking lemonade.  It's a pretty simple and flexible recipe that's worth making often and with many variations. 


Cucumber Salad with Greek Yogurt, Lime, and Honey
From Susie Middleton's Fast, Fresh & Green

2 medium cucumbers
1/3 c. thinly sliced scallions
3/4 c. Greek-style yogurt
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
1/4 tsp. lime zest
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp lime juice
2 tsp honey
1/4 ground coriander 
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
2 Tbsp coarsely chopped, toasted, pine nuts (optional) 

1.  Peel and seed the cucumbers, then slice them into thin half moon slices.

2.  Stir together the cucumber with the dressing ingredients, and sprinkle with pine nuts if desired.

And in case you're wondering why I seem to have skipped spring, don't worry!  Asparagus recipes are on the way. 


This is the sixth fabulous recipe I've made from Fast, Fresh & Green by Susie Middleton, a cookbook so awesome that I am cooking my way through all the recipes.  Sue's online home is Six Burner Sue, where you can find her hard at work running a vegetable farm on Martha's Vineyard and developing recipes for a second cookbook that will be called Fresh & Green for Dinner

1 comment:

Feed the blog - leave a comment!