Roasted Green Beans and Mushrooms with Rosemary-Garlic Oil


Green beans are in season.  And sometimes when green beans are in season, it is ridiculously hot, and all the cooking you can convince yourself to do is toss some veggies in some olive oil and roast them in the oven, while you escape to a cooler part of the house with an iced drink.  This recipe is here to say that's okay.

I used separate pans for my two veggies because I was doubling the recipe, but this also gives you the option of taking the green beans out 3-5 minutes before the mushrooms.  They cook a bit faster.  Or not - the green beans should survive on the same pan too.



The flavored oil is a quick finishing touch that allows for a lot of variety.  Just put rosemary and garlic, or really whatever spices you like, in the oil and warm it up on the stove top a bit.

I served these cooled to room temperature when I made them for a party.   My only disappointment was that they cooked down to be a little less food than I expected.  Like all the roasting recipes I've tried from Susie, this is a flavorful riff on reliable technique for simple summer veggie goodness.  



Roasted Green Beans and Mushrooms
Adapted from Susie Middleton's Fast, Fresh & Green
8 oz baby bella/cremini mushroom, halved
16 oz green beans, cleaned
scant 1/4 c. olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt

1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes

1.  Toss the mushrooms and green beans with olive oil and kosher salt.  Spread the mushrooms, cut side down, and green beans on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.  Bake in a 475 oven for about 25 minutes. 

2.  In a small saucepan, heat the remaining olive oil and spices until simmering.  Cook for 1 minute longer, making sure that the garlic doesn't get too brown.  Remove from heat and stir into the roasted vegetables when they are finished.


This is the twelfth recipe I've made from Fast, Fresh & Green by Susie Middleton, a cookbook so awesome that I am cooking my way through all the recipes.  Sue's online home is Six Burner Sue, where you can find her hard at work running a vegetable farm on Martha's Vineyard and developing recipes for a second cookbook that will be called Fresh & Green for Dinner

2 comments:

  1. I've stumbled onto your blog for the first time today, thanks to your comment over at Eating Rules, and I really like what I see here.

    I plan to share this recipe in my weekly food links post this Friday. It's got exactly what I look for in the recipes I share with my readers: it's easy, not that expensive, healthy and delicious. Keep it going!

    Dan @ Casual Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Feed the blog - leave a comment!