Spicy Mustard Greens with Ginger-Garlic Cream



I've been having a string of bad luck in the kitchen.  This dish turned out great, but when I tried to adapt the recipe to a faster cooking green (calaloo/asian spinach, pictured above), I wandered off and burned my first attempt into a disgusting mess.  Yesterday I made the ugliest blueberry muffins ever, which turned grey-green from blueberry juice and were missing an ingredient.  And for dinner there was also an almost inedible lemon chicken dish that came out tasting strongly of bitter pith instead of zest. 





Why all this distraction?  I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life, and apparently I shouldn't attempt anything more complicated than boiling water until I have found suitable employment.

This dish actually turned out well, but by the time I finished making it I was a bit annoyed with mustard greens.  I was warned that the greens would shrink down by the vendor at the farmer's market, but I still wasn't really prepared to end up with such a small dinner.


Why would anyone make a dish with multiple steps and dirty pans that shrinks down to two servings?  Two reasons.  This recipe was tasty, as recipes made with heavy whipping cream tend to be.  If you like creamed spinach, you will probably think these mustard greens are great.

But more importantly, it turns out that mustard greens are really good for you.  Every now and then I like to look up the nutritional stats on vegetables over at World's Healthiest Foods.  (Stop sniggering.)  In this case, I was hoping for justification to never cook mustard greens again, but I instead discovered that they are an unusually excellent source of good stuff like vitamins K, A, C, and folate.  They lower cholesterol, and help cure cancer.  Darn super food.

So make mustard greens, but don't say I didn't warn you that they REALLY shrink down.  On the plus side, this recipe did allow me to relieve some job-search tension with a hammer.




Spicy Mustard Greens with Ginger-Garlic Cream

A pound of mustard greens
1/2 c. heavy cream
2 garlic cloves, smashed
4 slices if ginger, smashed
salt

1.  In a large pot, boil salted water.  Strip the stems from the mustard greens, using a knife or your hands, and rip the leaves into smaller pieces.  Boil the mustard greens until tender, 4-6 minutes.  Drain, rinse with cool water, and squeeze out the water.

2.  Simmer the ginger and garlic in the cream until the cream thickens.  Remove the pieces of ginger and garlic, then stir in the greens until well combined and warm. 

This is the fourteenth recipe I've made from Fast, Fresh & Green by Susie Middleton, a cookbook so awesome that I am cooking my way through all the recipes.  Sue's online home is Six Burner Sue, where you can find her hard at work running a vegetable farm on Martha's Vineyard and developing recipes for a second cookbook that will be called Fresh & Green for Dinner

2 comments:

  1. I discovered this (with chard) when we had a CSA--greens certainly do wilt down to practically nothing. I have this cookbook on my amazon list now...so many yummy things to try!

    And I'm totally messing up basic meals, too. I made my absolute favorite chicken dish yesterday--the one I've been making in my sleep since I was 12--and it was tough and awful. Sigh. Maybe I need to back up to just boiling water, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CSA can require some more spontaneous cooking. I haven't had as much trouble with kale and collard greens shrinking, btw.

    I'm still trying to get that burned pan clean!

    ReplyDelete

Feed the blog - leave a comment!