Mashed Cauliflower


In general I think gotcha recipes like Fake Mashed Potatoes are silly, but when a beautiful head of cauliflower showed up in our Boston Organics box, I was getting ready to make a stew that would be perfect on top of some creamy mash.  It was a good enough excuse to try subbing cauliflower for potatoes.  And actually, I really liked this.  I don't usually go out of my way to eat cauliflower.  But this was tasty.


Mashed cauliflower is a tad bit easier than mashed potatoes, because there is no peeling.  Just cut the head into florets, boil until tender, drain & dry, and blend together with some creamy seasonings.  You do need a food processor, preferably a large one, so that you don't have to bother with processing multiple batches.




For seasonings, I went with roasted garlic cloves that I keep on hand my freezer, cream cheese, salt & pepper, and some half & half.  I made this to go with beef bourguignon, and maybe sometimes I will get around to sharing that too.  The combination was delicious.


Mashed Cauliflower
Adapted from this Mock Mashed Potato recipe

1 head of cauliflower, trimmed into small florets
2 T. cream cheese
4 cloves roasted garlic, or 1/2 tsp. fresh minced garlic
Salt, Pepper & Butter to taste

1.  Boil the florets until tender, about 6 minutes.

2.  Drain and pat dry.

3.  Combine florets and other ingredients in a food processor, and blend until smooth.


 Oh, and... I won a case of pretzel crisps to give out to trick-or-treaters in a healthy snack contest.  Do you have Halloween plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feed the blog - leave a comment!