Almond Flour Cupcakes with Cranberry Chutney


Let's be honest: one of the best reasons to have a food blog is so you can get up in the morning and convince yourself that you need to make cupcakes.

Emma Galloway has a beautiful rhubarb, lemon & almond cake on Food52 that I've been meaning to try, but of course it's not exactly rhubarb season right now.  I did have half a jar of cranberry chutney in the fridge though.   I am definitely planning to go back and try the original recipe once rhubarb is in season, but I think the cranberry substitution was delicious and seasonal.

While I'm admitting to hacking other people's well-tested recipes, I have to admit that I didn't have lemons, do I made a daring substitution of ground coriander, which was subtle and tasty.  Also, I only mixed up a half batch, so I could put the whole recipe together quickly in my 3-cup food processor.


These are as sweet as normal cake and have normal cake texture.  The flavor is maybe a bit eggier - if that doesn't sound good to you, add a dash of your favorite flavored extract.  The almond flour means they are definitely more filling than your average wheat cupcakes and have lots of protein.  This is good news - you are unlikely to eat more than two, even if you are very hungry!  Data comes from a very scientific test I ran on myself, where I didn't eat breakfast and then made cupcakes.

As written (and as I made it) the recipe is gluten-free.  This was my first time using brown rice flour - the amount is small and I can see how you might not want to go buy a bag of it just to make these, so if you don't have a problem with gluten you could sub in your normal flour.  Still, if you are at all curious about baking with alternative flours, but haven't tried it yet... start with this recipe.



December has started off pretty well.  Volunteering and a fun seasonal job have been helping me get over feeling completely useless and isolated during my extended job search, and we have plans to see lots of family in December.  It's been bizarrely sunny and warm - I walk past blooming roses on the way to the T and go out without a coat to pick up groceries!




Almond Flour Cupcakes with Cranberry Chutney
Adapted from a recipe by Emma Galloway

Makes 6 cupcakes

2 eggs
1/3 c. granulated sugar
4 and 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
scant 1 1/2 c. almond flour
2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons brown rice flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/8 tsp. coriander
About 3 Tablespoons of cranberry sauce or chutney


1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Line 6 cups of a muffin tin with cupcake liners, or grease and flour.

2.  In food processor, blend eggs and sugar until thick and yellow.  Add butter and blend until well combined (it's fine if the butter isn't entirely incorporated, as long as there aren't any big lumps).

3.  Add remaining dry ingredients and pulse until smooth.

4.  Divide the batter between six cupcake tins.  Make a 1/2 inch deep well in the cupcakes, and fill with cranberry chutney.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown.  Remove from tins and allow to cool.

2 comments:

  1. Looks moist and delish! Will give these a try during my holiday break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, let me know how they turn out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Feed the blog - leave a comment!