Happy New Somewhat Arbitrary Measure of Time



My only resolution for this year is to eat more green leafy things.  Not out of guilt for the amazing fried seafood in Florida, or the comforting pecan caramel rolls in Ohio.  No regrets over vacation.  I came home with a whole bag of kitchen gifts - a bulk supply of saffron and other spices from K&S in Bangkok, and a kitchen scale so I can work on making make my recipes more friendly to non-US readers.  How lucky am I, right?

Last semester we probably had greens once a week.  But, after vacation we needed a ton of groceries to restock the empty fridge.  Nat came with me to the grocery store to help carry things, went down an aisle I usually avoid to grab some frozen spinach, and discovered a wonder of modern food science.  You can also get chopped frozen kale.  A small discovery, but now we have a giant hoard of basically instant greens, and I am eating them almost every day.

I know I'm prone to getting excited about and then sometimes giving up on ambitious projects - last year I resolved to run a half marathon (I did!) and read 52 books (do blog articles count?) and to sort through all of our belongings before our move (I did) and post a certain amount of articles each month on the blog (hit or miss). Generally I like challenges, big ones with concrete goals and deadlines.  Enthusiasm lasts only so long and deadlines help you ride that wave before it is spent.  So yes, this is a phase.  But maybe I can turn the phase into a habit.

Right now I am helping collect recipes and nutrition tips for getfit@mit, which is a really well-designed program that helps members of the MIT community make healthier habits.  That's all I really want out of "more greens."



If I made my normal style of resolutions for this year, I would have mapped out a plan for a superwoman who would get an awesome job, join Crossfit, regularly go rock-climbing, and do yoga, while cooking all our meals from scratch, writing a book, earning a DSLR camera and then getting good at using it, learning Italian, taking adventurous biking and culinary vacations (p.s. I don't bike yet), regularly going out to posh restaurants and parties and concerts in attractive but playful incarnations of "the feminine", and having great totally functional and supportive and delightful relationships with everyone.  But there are variables in the future that I can't control.

A lot of people each year make a resolution to find a better job, and don't succeed.  And I'm going to say it, I don't care that it's angsty:  It was heart-breaking to get to the end of this year and not have reached my main goal.  My somewhat artificial deadlines have caused me grief, along with sometimes motivating me.

With the "more greens" resolution I think I've managed to find a goal and a mindset that is both a good change and a kind change.  A possible change.  Today I can take care of myself.  I can make Collards & Kale soup with Saffron Butter.

No recipe forthcoming.  Sometimes there's no recipe for what you are making.

Good luck on your resolutions, whatever they are!


1 comment:

  1. Hail Kale! You got your dad to starting eating better, and it wasn't even one of your resolutions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Feed the blog - leave a comment!